Catholic Relief Services (CRS) carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Procurement Officer
Job ID: #1449331
Preparation and Planning:
• Consult with Head of Programming (HOP) and Head of Operations (HOOP) to identify the main types of goods and services that will be needed in near term based on the current portfolio of programs and operations, and use this to conduct regular market assessments of best sources and prices
• Maintains continued working relationship with local suppliers, visits stores and production facilities to ensure contract terms are respected whenever situation warrants.
• Ensure eligibility verification of all new suppliers before adding them to the approved supplier list.
• Keep abreast of any changes in governmental taxes (sales, VAT), duty fees, levies and importation procedures.
• Proactively consult with peer agencies and private sector to identify new potential suppliers that can be added to our updated Approved Supplier List (ASL), and whenever possible develop relationships with closest source to production or importation, and explore making bundled orders with peer agencies to negotiate better prices and terms based on joint economies of scale.
• Ensure that all procurement is done efficiently according to CRS Policy, the CRS Procurement Manual and consistent with relevant donor requirements.
• Ensure that all actions are governed by the highest standards of ethics, personal and business conduct as stipulated in CRS Policy and the CRS Procurement Manual.
• Suggest any new ideas to improve procurement efficiencies to the HOOP, and update annually the CRS Procurement Manual and support tools.
• Always negotiate with suppliers regarding price reductions, preferred payment and delivery terms, and shipping options when necessary.
• Ensure that all applicable purchases > $5k complete a Global Procurement Requisition Form to HQ procurement with local pricing information, and if it is determined that the best source is local then make sure to receive a Local Purchase Approval from HQ before preparing a LPO.
• Once all required steps have been completed depending on the value of the procurement, then: make the selection of the best supplier with regard to price, quality and delivery; determine payment and delivery terms; prepare the Purchase Orders (PO); and draw up contracts as needed.
• Ensure that all procurement is processed for all applicable exonerations as established in the Host Country Agreement or through Donor Agreements, and draft any exemption letters for VAT, duty and tax whenever necessary.
• Review all Purchase Requisitions (PRs) and verify price target that all specifications and requirements are clear and that all corresponding authorizations have been obtained.
• Ensures that all Requests for Quotations (RFQs) clearly present all specifications and requirements as stated in the PR.
• Receive and review all bids and quotations in accordance with price target and specs, and prepare quotes summary sheet.
• Organize Bid Review Committees (BRC) if needed, and ensure they follow all BRC guidelines as stipulated in the CRS Procurement Manual.
• Ensure the BRC analyzes all bids in a competitive manner and carefully considering all costs and benefits including those not presented on bids explicitly.
Record Keeping and Reporting:
• Ensure proper filling of all procurement documents for recordkeeping and auditing, and maintain orderly files on active orders and post activities such as change notices, scheduling changes and partial shipments.
• Track the status of each procurement request and update management and requestors through regular Procurement Status Reports (PSRs).
• Periodically generate an evaluation report on supplier/vendor performance with recommendations based on service delivery/track record (at least every 6 months).
• Maintain an Approved Supplier List (ASL) with updated information on pricing by goods and services and performance ranking based on recent post-delivery evaluations.
• Creates vendor files with all necessary details by service category (e.g. stationery suppliers, electrical items suppliers, machine suppliers, etc.).
• Make airline bookings and reservations for all staff on official assignments.
• Explore the least cost ticket options available for staff on official duties and advise accordingly
• Coordinate and liaise with Travel agents to ensure smoothness for all booking logistics.
• Monitor and be informed on - going changes in the airline industry.
• Track and monitor closely those invoices yet to be processed for Travel Agents. Ensure accuracy and timeliness of such invoices.
• Coordinate inventorying of new items with the Administrative Assistant through the Asset Requisition Form
Hotel & Accommodation:
• Make all hotel arrangements for all CRS or partner activities as requested and ensure that the bills are settled promptly after the completion of the activity.
• Research available hotel options in states where CRS has project and share findings with the Senior Procurement Officer.
• Coordinate requests for support for workshops in hotels outside of the FCT and ensure that quotations are received and submitted to the Procurement officer for processing.
• Follow up on the payments for the hotels outside the FCT and ensure that the payment terms are adhered to for the services rendered.
• Make all accommodation bookings for all CRS staff as requested (in hotels where MOU are operational) and make necessary pick up arrangements for the international visitors
• Receive all requests for hotel bookings from all staff (for outside the FCT) and make such reservations for the staff and communicate/ provide feedback on this.
Communication, Coordination and other duties:
• Ensure personnel designated to receive (admin. or logistics) have as much advance notice as possible of expected delivery of goods and to be ready to prepare fully the Goods Received Note (GRN).
• Provides details of fixed assets procurements (type, quantity, supplier, price, fund/project #, name of partner, etc.) to the personnel responsible for property management.
• As needed and always respecting segregation of duties recommendations, coordinate with the administration or logistics staff personnel assigned to receive procured goods whenever there is a problem encountered with completing their established functions correctly and in a timely manner, as established in the CRS Procurement Manual: 1) verify that the goods and invoices received meet the quantity, price and specifications on the Purchase Order/Contract document; 2) complete a Goods Receiving Note (GRN) for all goods received; 3) inform the requesting personnel and the PO that their goods have been received; 4) enter the goods into inventory, and storage if needed; and 5) submit the GRN and the supplier invoice to the designated non procurement personnel responsible for conducting 3-way matching (invoice, PO, GRN) and payment request processing.
• Ensure vigilance against fraudulent activities in all procurement processes and keep up to date with latest guidance for fraud prevention.
• Assist in advancing the use of new technologies and applications to improve procurement process efficiencies.
• Contribute to maintaining teamwork, discipline sound work relationships and productivity.
• Provides support and training on procurement management to CRS staff and partners as found necessary by management.
• Provide coverage for Senior Procurement Officer when required by workload or absence, and perform additional duties as assigned.
• Following segregation of duty recommendations, work with staff person(s) assigned in admin. or logistics for receiving to resolve any quantity discrepancies between PO and supplier's delivery note/waybill.
• As needed and always respecting segregation of duties recommendations, communicate with suppliers to return any damaged goods or mis‑ordered goods to suppliers, and ensure substitution or completion of goods ordered if still applicable.
• As needed and always respecting segregation of duties recommendations, coordinate with non-procurement personnel assigned to carry out 3-way matching (invoice, PO, GRN) and payment request processing whenever there is a problem encountered with completing their established functions correctly and in a timely manner, as established in the CRS Procurement Manual to make sure that these tasks are completed correctly and in a timely manner.
• Assist in the preparation of award letters, agreements, memos and letters as needed
• Responds to audit queries in a timely and professional manner when necessary.
• Collects information on price of goods and services whenever needed for budgeting or planning purpose.
• When necessary and within acceptable parameters expedite requisitions and orders to meet urgent operational needs.
• Must be scrupulously honest and always foster an atmosphere of trust and integrity.
• Good computers and ICT skills, fully capable with Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel and PPT), and experience conducting internet sourcing and price comparisons.
• Committed to always providing highest possible customer service.
• Good organizational skills.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills and relationship builder.
• When necessary be able to relay ideas and concepts to partners in an accessible manner.
• Demonstrated ability to perform fast, efficient and cost effective procurement service while maintaining the agency's high standards.
• Good negotiator.
• Experience conducting market research.
• Good data analysis skills.
• BA/BSc Degree in supply and purchasing management or related field such as (logistics or administration), from recognized institution.
• At least 3 years of relevant experience is required.
• Membership in a professional purchasing organization preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely in written and spoken English
• Proven ability to prepare reports and maintain complete files and records.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download the CRS Application Form, fill and send with a detailed 3-page resume both in a single file document to: NG_HR@global.crs.org
Click here to download the CRS Application Form
Note: Applications sent in the required format will be considered and only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing Date: 4th April, 2016
Agencies and Organizations Vacancies Index
Main Job Vacancies Index