Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on women’s empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the north east of Nigeria and causing displacement of thousands of individuals, Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities by starting its humanitarian program. With current funding from OFDA, FFP and CERF and ongoing opportunities from other donors, all Mercy Corps interventions in the North East are implemented with plans for scale-up.
The current funding opportunity’s goal is to support economic opportunities and food security among conflict-affected populations in Gombe State, and to strengthen the capacity of humanitarian agencies and the quality of information gathering in Nigeria. Expansion into other affected states is also planned for the humanitarian response team.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Finance Officer
Location: Abuja with 50% travel to North East Nigeria
General Position Summary
• Working in the Northeast under the umbrella of the humanitarian response, the Senior Finance Officer under the direction of the Program Coordination and support of the Finance Manager in Abuja, will assist in the processing and recording of payment transactions in timely and accurate manner as well as provide financial review and support to the programs.
• This position requires travel within the Northeast of Nigeria for support to programs as well as Abuja for coordination on finances.
• For the finance specific role, the Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
• The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively
Essential Job Functions
• Manage the finance assistants in maintaining a balanced petty cash float, processing payments and recording in the financial system.
• Review employee expense reports, cash advance requests and travel approval requests within financial review authority for accuracy, completeness and compliance.
• Review procurement documentation within financial review authority for accuracy, completeness and compliance.
• Review payment requests within financial review authority for accuracy, completeness and compliance.
• Ensure all expenses are within assigned project budgets.
• Prepare checks or wire transfer requests based on fully approved documents and present to approved check-signers for review and signature.
• Prepare bank payment vouchers and ensure that all bank transactions are properly and fully documented.
• Prepare monthly package of documentation for shipping to Abuja for safeguarding.
• Respond to staff requests for information regarding invoices and their program budgets in a proactive and timely manner. Escalate to Finance Manager if necessary.
• Identify and resolve invoicing issues, accounting discrepancies and other financial related issues.
• Liaise with statutory bodies and make statutory remittance to relevant bodies
• Extensive travel is required to different locations for the humanitarian programs including but not limited to Gombe and Adamawa.
• Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
• Record payment vouchers daily in Field Connection on Navigator, ensuring information in Navigator is as accurate as possible, including dimensions and expense details.
• Prepare timely and accurate month end reconciliations, ensuring all entries on the bank statement are accounted for, and follow up for completeness in a timely manner.
• Manage the bank accounts and banking relationship in the field and communicate with Abuja as needed.
• Maintain a balanced bank account balance and submit funds transfer requests to Abuja based on policy.
• Prepare monthly cash flow projections for program needs in coordination with program and operations and submit to Abuja.
• Maintain an efficient filing system such that files are updated, complete and safeguarded
• Assist in budget preparation and management activities as the need arises.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience
• Five or more years of bookkeeping, accounting and finance. Experience in development sector is preferable.
• Excellent oral and written English skills
• Management of staff is highly of added value
• Fluency in Hausa language is needed.
• A degree in Accounting or a relevant business field is required.
• Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel is a must.
• Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude and attention to detail
• A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
• A high level of personal integrity, honesty and transparency in all cash handling is absolutely essential.
• The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required.
• A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary
Method of Application
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Closing Date: 12th April, 2016
Agencies and Organizations Vacancies Index
Main Job Vacancies Index