Job Title: Hygiene and Sanitation Officer in Mercy Corps Nigeria
General Position Summary
• The Hygiene and Sanitation Officer is responsible for both the soft and hardware components of the water and sanitation infrastructure activities of the ECHO program in targeted implementation area.
• The Hygiene and Sanitation officer will assist in supervision of the all works related to implementing infrastructure improvement; and provide input on monitoring and evaluation of the project.
Essential Job Functions
• Under the guidance of Watsan advisor, provide input into design and conduct water and sanitation infrastructure improvement in targeted areas.
• Supervise the planning and performance of monitoring of water and sanitation projects.
• Ensure and promote appropriate health messages related to water, sanitation and hygiene behaviors in targeted communities
• Promote community involvement and ownership in all water and sanitation activities and infrastructure projects and assist with hand-over activities
• Perform final inspection of completed water and sanitation infrastructure projects, and ensure that technical, safety and environmental standards have been met.
• Conduct regular monitoring to the water and sanitation infrastructure project conducted by contractor.
• Conduct regular quality control visit to monitor the quality of water and sanitation infrastructure project.
• Provide regular capacity building to Community Water Groups on water and sanitation issues
• Prepare project designs, estimates and drawings as required, including a list of materials & labor, technical specifications needed, contract documents and project implementation plans.
• Based on the complexity of design or magnitude of the project, decide if the project should be managed by a qualified contractor or through a community managed process.
• Provide training to the program teams for the preparation of construction supervision check list or each engineering design.
• Review and finalize each construction supervision check list prepared by the program teams.
• Assist the procurement manager by providing all technical specifications needed for preparing tenders, in addition to assisting the procurement team by reviewing the technical profiles from contractors.
• Provide advice on the official handing over of projects to communities/beneficiaries.
• Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
• Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience
• BA/S or higher in Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering or other relevant background and/or relevant experience in water and sanitation that related to slum upgrading program
• 3-4+ years in community based water and sanitation project preferably in urban context
• Fluency in both verbal and written English highly preferred.
• Multi-tasking, coordination, organization, prioritization skills essential.
• Highly-developed computers skills, with strong familiarity with MS Office, Power point, Outlook, Excel, Word, and infrastructure design software
• Ability to work independently and cooperatively with team members required.
• Ability to work under pressure
• Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing
• Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
• Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
• Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required.
• The successful candidate will combine strong technical skills, experience in watsan programs, and a can-do attitude. Ideally s/he will have previous experience in working in large-scale emergency programs in insecure and conflict-affected contexts, including remote management and capacity development.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV's and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
Note: All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Closing Date: 26th January, 2016
Check other pages below for more jobs
|1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 |16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | | 23 | | 24 | | 25 | | 26 | | 27 | | 28 | | 29 | | 30 |
Agencies and Organizations Vacancies Index
Main Job Vacancies Index