Job Title: Procurement Officer in Mercy Corps
Location: Abuja (with frequent travels)
• Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on women’s empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the north east of Nigeria and causing displacement of over a million individual, Mercy Corps is addressing the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities through program interventions in the Northeast.
• The current funding opportunity’s goal in Gombe is to support economic opportunities, food security and protection among conflict-affected populations, and to strengthen the capacity of humanitarian agencies and the quality of information gathering in Nigeria.
• The current funding opportunity’s goal in Adamawa is to provide a package of relief interventions designed to help conflict affected communities in central Adamawa meet their basic needs in livelihoods restoration, water and sanitation and protection. Expansion into other affected states is also planned for the humanitarian response team.
• With current funding from OFDA, FFP, CERF and ECHO and ongoing opportunities from other donors, all Mercy Corps interventions in the Northeast are implemented with plans for scale-up.
General Position Summary
• The procurement officer will be responsible for facilitating and executing different aspects of procurement, logistics and administration.
• S/he will work extensively with other departments to ensure that all program activities are implemented successfully and timely.
Essential Job Functions
• In collaboration with the Senior Procurement Officer, coordinates Mercy Corps daily procurement activities taking into cognizance Mercy Corps internal procedures.
• Able to quickly gain knowledge of and ability to apply Mercy Corps procurement policies and formats.
• Ensures that required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed.
• Maintains and updates procurement files
• Assists with payment requests and follows up with status.
• Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
• Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
• Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests and other documentation.
• Collects quotations and bids from the market for requests as per Mercy Corps standard policies.
• Conduct quote analysis and draft contracts as applicable
• Other duties as assigned.
• No supervisory responsibility
Reports Directly to:
• Senior Procurement Officer
Works directly with:
• Finance, Program and Operation Teams.
Knowledge and Experience
• BA/S in relevant field required
• Minimum 2 years of experience in similar position, preferably within an NGO, international business or related field.
• Strong organization skills.
• Ability to work under pressure
• Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
• Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
• Strong computer skills on MS office programs
• Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required.
• Certification in procurement/supply chain management an advantage
• A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action to avoid delays in program implementation.
• A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
• Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
• Commitment to renewing and maintaining knowledge of best practices
• The successful candidate will have a can-do attitude.
• Ideally s/he will have previous experience in working in large-scale emergency programs in insecure and conflict-affected contexts, including remote management.
• S/he is a problem solver, who is adept in successfully dealing with issues of complexity.
• S/he is an active listener and contributor, working to create a strong team share ideas and learn. Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgement.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their CV's and Cover letter, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
• All applications must include the position title in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
• We are an equal opportunity organization and we encourage women to apply to these positions
Closing Date: 21st August, 2016
Agencies and Organizations Vacancies Index
Main Job Vacancies Index