UN Women - In July 2010, the United nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operations Intern
Type of Contract: Internship
Post Level: Intern
Languages Required: English
Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 months
- UN Women Background description below is required. If you would like to provide more information on your unit or project, please include that under Unit/ Project Background below.
- UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- The Operations Manager Under the guidance and supervision of the UN Women Operation manager for Nigeria, the intern will provide a variety of administrative support functions in the Office of the UN Women country office.
- Supports operational processes
- Support Procurement processes
- Supports HR processes
- General administrative support
- Provides support of administrative and finance activities in line with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and strategies
- Contributes to organizing procurement activities and processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs in compliance with UN Women rules and regulations
- Support in the provision of HR services in the area of recruitment including vacancy announcement, organizing interview panels, etc
- Provide support in personnel administration for international and national staff as appropriate
- Provide support in maintaining lists and generating reports as required
- Assist with support services for conferences, workshops, retreats, travel arrangements, hotel arrangements, etc
- Assist with logistical arrangements as required
- Contributes to the smooth and efficient functioning of the UN Women Country office;
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity. Organizational Awareness:
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment. Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative. Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards other.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge. Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- The intern must have studies in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Social science or other similar subject at the university level.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
Applicants to the internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required Working knowledge of another UN language a distinct advantage
- The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8).
- Candidates will be required to meet the requirements of Article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter as well as the requirements of the position.
- The United Nations is committed to the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity for all its human resources, including but not limited to respect for international human rights and humanitarian law.
- Candidates may be subject to screening against these standards, including but not limited to whether they have committed, or are alleged to have committed criminal offences and/or violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law.
Interns are not financially remunerated.
Application Closing Date
4th March, 2019 (Midnight New York, USA).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online
- UN Women will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
- Selected applicants must provide the internship application, two letters of recommendation, proof of health insurance and school enrollment, passport, and visa (if applicable)
- No Fee - The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicant's bank accounts.
- The UN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Only applicants that are shortlisted will be contacted.
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Please make sure to submit your application by this date.
NB: only successful applicants will be called for interview.
Any false Information provided during or after the application process will lead to the outright disqualification of such candidate(s).
Closing Date: 4th March, 2019 (Midnight New York, USA) .
General Vacancies Index
Main Job Vacancies Index