The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2003. The institution was conceived as Africa’s first Development University. Its mission is to pioneer service learning and build leaders who will be prepared to tackle societal concerns.
Located in Yola, Adamawa State, the University is a world-class career-oriented institution missioned to be an agent of change in the development of the region. AUN has a strong commitment to providing the skills and the leadership essential to solving the continent’s critical social and economic problems.
The University offers an American – style education modelled after the curriculum of American universities with corresponding approaches to teaching and students assessment. The first entering class of 124 students and 20 professors was enrolled in September 2005. In ten years, AUN is fast becoming a model for other universities in Nigeria and West Africa.
Job Title: Social Studies/ Civic Education Teacher in American University of Nigeria
Department: New Foundation School
The American University of Nigeria, Yola, is seeking for a Social Studies/ Civic Education Teacher. This position is local position and opens to indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeria.
Summary of Position
• To implement and deliver a balanced and relevant curriculum for the students and to support the overall social studies/civic education curriculum of the New Foundation School. He/she shall monitor and support the overall progress and development of the students both as a teacher and a mentor.
• A Post Graduate Diploma in Education and A good first degree in History; Sociology and Anthropology or any Art related from a recognized tertiary with three to five years teaching experience; OR any equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
• Possess high level interpersonal communication skills.
• Must be flexible enough to adapt to changing circumstances at workplace
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft office programs.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
• Energetic, dynamic personality
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Flexibility with time as completing certain tasks might involve working overtime.
• Good organizing skills and willingness to learn.
• A good workplace ethics.
• Adequate knowledge of AUN Policies and Procedures.
• The full-time social studies/civic education teacher is expected to have a general knowledge of the subject and experience.
• Ability to perform consistently under pressure and to meet set deadlines
• Proactivity in the work environment
• Working efficiently and continuously with a positive attitude.
• Dress Decently
Method of Application
Suitably qualified candidates should submit their resumes, cover letters and references to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date of this publication. The position being applied for should be the subject of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing Date: 23rd August, 2016
General Vacancies Index
Main Job Vacancies Index