The National gallery of Art of Nigeria (NGA) was established by Decree No. 86 of 1993 in fulfillment of a provision of Nigeria’s cultural policy which recommends that a National Gallery of Art be established for the promotion and presentation of creative visual art in Nigeria. This recommendation derives from the UNESCO document on the World Decade for Cultural Development (WDCD).
It serves as a Repository for Nigeria’s creative spirits and to promote the appreciation of Nigeria’s Art.
The Gallery is charged with the responsibility of:
- acquiring and collecting Nigerian works of art;
- organizing permanent and temporary exhibitions;
- organizing competitions and talent hunts in fine and applied arts;
- receiving donations and endowments to support the National
- collections of works of art;
- sponsoring and encouraging research into all aspects of arts;
- organizing workshops, lectures, seminars and conferences on
- the theory, practice and appreciation of arts;
- establishing and maintaining a Documentation Centre on Arts
- and Artists, and
- promoting excellence in the theory and practice of art through
- the award of grants to artists and art scholars.
NATIONAL GALLERY OF ART
4th Floors, Block C, Phase II
Federal Secretariat Complex
Alh. Shehu Shagari Way
P.M.B. 456, Garki