The Akassa Lighthouse was built in 1910 but actually relocated to its present location in 1912. It is located close to the seaside in Akassa, and is about 60 meters tall – making it one of the tallest lighthouses in West Africa.
Its original purpose was to guard distant ships to dock at the inland port, and it served as a delight to distant navigators as they approached shallow waters at the town of Akassa.
The Akassa Lighthouse has an architectural structure with iron staircase leading up to the lighthouse.
It was constructed like modern telecommunication masts, but quite purposeful in serving the needs of sailors in the distant past and the tourism needs of the Bayelsa people today.
Banks in Bayelsa
Brief History of Bayelsa
Business and Economy
General and Teaching Hospitals
Hotels and Guest Houses
Bayelsa State Ministries Agencies and Parastatals
Restaurants, Bars, Night Clubs
TOURIST ATTRACTIONSAkassa Lighthouse
Akassa Slave Transit Camp and Tunnel
Isaac Jasper Adaka Boro Monument
White-Man Graveyard at Twon Brass
FESTIVALS AND CARNIVALS
Asi Oge Festival
Igboruma War Canoe
Ikpai-Kpai Annual Festival
Izogua Annual Festival
Lake Ifi Fishing Festival
Ogoriba Uge Festival
Opuaduno Lake Fishing Festival
Uge Adiafa Festival
Seigbein Fishing Festival